It's Friday… rockin' the Henry's Blend and thinking about Jesus, my family, you and the weekend that's before me. I'm feeling like this one is gonna be all over the place. As you read, may I warn you that my A.D.D. is definitely kickin' on this Friday. First thought to come…
- Really looking forward to this weekend's services. We will begin a new series Sunday titled, "GSP: God's Stimulus Plan". Bet there are a lot in the hyde park family who would be excited to get some of that bailout money, huh? This is going to be an excellent series and is bound to challenge the condition of all of our hearts.
- Tonite I'll be speaking at Broadridge Baptist Church for a "True Love Waits" Banquet. I can't think of a more difficult assignment that God would have given me . The truth that I will speak tonite will be one of the most challenging issues that these young people will encounter during ALL of their lives. Pray that… 1) God will open and prepare hearts 2) I will hear from Him and be a worthy vessel to speak truth.
- I spent the morning yesterday with Worship Pastor Danny McDonald at Arran Lake Baptist dealing with some A/V stuff that WP's deal with. Totally great hanging with him and talking church, worship and everyday stuff. Great guy (who works with a great pastor). I introduced Danny to this because it made me WAY more productive - what do you use to organize your ministry?
- …and speaking of Arran Lake BC, I am looking forward to hanging with them in a few weeks for their "LIVING LIFE PURE" Men's Conference. I hope that you're planning on being a part of it. (WholeHearted Women readers: you need to get your man to sign up for this thing – Men's Conferences is Pastor Jeff's excellent ministry – it will be the best $25 your family has spent this year!). And almost forgot… the steak dinner on Friday nite is worth the whole trip… AND… it's over at noon on Saturday (you can still do stuff). Sign up today!!!
- …one more thing about the Men's Conference - teenagers 14 through 18 (still in hs) are FREE! They really know that this stuff is foundation in a man's life and are investing in the next generation. Dad's could bring their son's for FREE and spend some dad/son time with Jesus.
After Sunday's Message I found myself really open to seeing needs, the opportunity to serve and had a few people speak some great stuff into my life. Here are a couple of examples:
- If you read often you've seen me quote Ed Stetzer. Ed had an article this week called, "The Biggest Sin in Your Church", and it was a really great (and challenging piece – definitely caused me to evaluate). The quote from the article that caught me said,
"If I preach about gay marriage, everybody cheers. If I preach about sin you can hear the amens ring. But those aren't the real problems. I tell people that the biggest sin in our church is you sitting there doing nothing and still calling yourself a follower of Jesus." Read the rest of the article here (it's a quick read).
In reference to the above statement: I myself have noted that people will "preach you to death" when you preach a simple message about salvation, heaven, hell, the cross, (fill in the blank with your own example) – stuff that really no longer applies to them. It's like, "you tell THEM preacher – AMEN!!!". Preach about a believers need to repent, to turn, to go deeper things get much more quiet in the room.
Yesterday was the catalyst one day conference – I really wanted to go but just didn't work out for me to attend. However, Tony Morgan did live-blog the event and there was one section that I just had to share as we close this morning:
- 6:16 PM tonymorganlive - ministry “programming begins as an answer to a question”
- 6:17 PM tonymorganlive - “It ends up becoming part of our culture. It defines us.”
- 6:19 PM tonymorganlive - Andy is talking about an old couch on the platform.
- 6:19 PM tonymorganlive - It looks like a couch in my grandma’s house.
- 6:20 PM tonymorganlive - The couch started out as something to sit on, but it stays around for years and years and can’t be thrown out because people have an emotional attachment to it.
- 6:21 PM tonymorganlive - “In church life, this is deadly. It creates all kinds of problems.”
- 6:21 PM tonymorganlive - “All ministry programming becomes an old, out-dated couch.”
- 6:22 PM tonymorganlive - “If your passion is outsiders, then there are some couches that must be retired.”
- 6:23 PM tonymorganlive - “It’s difficult because it’s very, very emotional.”
- 6:26 PM tonymorganlive - “At some point a generation will come along and say, ‘I’m just not going to sit there.’”
If you have a few minutes on your busy Friday I would suggest that you check out his posts from the conference:
- Session One (Andy)
- Session Two (Craig Groeschel)
- Session Three (Craig Groeschel)
- Andy's Closing session (the one the above quotes came from),
Love you guys… looking forward to Sunday… register YOUR MAN (and teenage son) for Men's conference. I'll leave you with a great fun Friday song…