I love my church! Wherever you attend I hope that’s the thought you woke with this morning. God has given each of us a local church to be connected to that we might connect with Him. That church is the place where you worship with the church, pray with other believers, serve the Lord, give to the ongoing ministry and mission of Jesus and connect in a corporate way. I hope you’re not just going – become part wherever you feel led to serve.
Yesterday at Vertical was an amazing day – here’s what’s on my mind:
- Week 3 of our very 1st relationship series titled, “Man vs Woman”. This has been a great series so far digging into the most important earthly relationship that God has given to us.
- Our Worship Arts Pastor Jon Lloyd brought the 3rd installment in this series. Jon did an excellent job delivering his message titled ”Sabotage”. He should have used the Beastie Boys track in the roll-in video (grin).
- Jon’s message centered on 5 pitfalls that can sabotage a marriage to the point of destruction. I appreciated his honesty as he acknowledged his shortcomings as a husband.
- Lack of trust, lack of communication, unmet or unshared expectations, entitlement and unresolved hurts can sabotage a marriage. Great job JL.
- He finished the message with a video by 2 of our covenant partners, Jason and Laci Hammond. Great video that shared the struggles of a young couple in a very transparent way. Seeing them on that screen yesterday was certainly an answer to prayer for us. I am SO GLAD that Laci waited on the Lord during a time when she was totally ready to give up. I am so excited to see God at work in this couple’s life and was so proud that they were willing to share their hurts and complications with their church family. God never wastes a hurt – no doubt he used it in people’s lives yesterday.
- Great crowd yesterday, especially to be a beginning of the summer weekend! One of our biggest non-holiday attendance weekend’s ever! Let’s keep it going this summer VC!
- I had the privilege to play drums with Vertical Worship yesterday. Honestly, it was truly an emotional, deeply connected worship experience on my part. Sitting there behind the kit in the 1st service I was totally enjoying myself, using the talent God gave me for the reason He gave it – for HIS glory instead of my own. As I thanked Him I thought (in prayer) that years ago, when I was 15 years old I began playing drums for this reason, to worship Him with that ability in His church in this movie theater I have attended all of my life which is now a church!!! Who would have thought when I was learning “Highway to Hell” by AC/DC (the only song easy enough for me to play as a beginner) that someday I would use that to help people connect to the God of the universe.
- Four words for Robby Gaddy: “What would it take?”
- Story behind that: About 5 years ago Robby and I were playing in a Christian band in Mt. Airy, NC and he asked me, “what would it take for us to do this every weekend?” We’re doing it bro!
- Rhonda was our Worship Leader and led a powerful worship set! She is a powerfully anointed worship leader and brought Vertical Church into the presence yesterday. We also had JMac, Christoph, John Astle (first time playing with JA), Gaile and of course, Robby Gaddy.
- Set: “Yours is the Victory” (Newspring), “Forever Reign” (Hillsong) and “Revelation Song” (Gateway).
- Seemed to be some good action happening in the Prayer room yesterday! Thankful for that ministry.
- Shout out to the lighting team headed by Will Carter. The new lights are killer and have greatly improved people’s ability to see us onstage. We kind of had a vaudeville look early on – no more.
I am so proud of our team. I love doing life with these people. Let’s have a powerful week in Jesus everyone!