I feel so repetitive on Sunday nights when I say this but we had an Unbelievable day at Vertical Church. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT I GET TO DO THIS! Every weekend as we gather at the Cinema Four Theaters and see that place converted by the most amazing church planting team in America I am just blown away. I had a conversation this morning where I was reminded of the way that I RESISTED this call on my life for so long not willing to trusting God. I praise Him this evening that He didn’t give my blessing to someone else before I had time to surrender to that call. I love You, Lord… thank you SO much for not giving up on me!
Here’s what’s on my heart tonight:
- We began our brand new series, “The End is Near” this morning. We are spending the next 3 weeks discussing what the Bible teaches about the end of the world.
- Today’s message was Jesus’ words about the end to His disciples as found in Matthew 24 and was titled, “The World will end on _______?” We talked about missed end-times predictions and what Jesus Himself taught on the matter.
- We spent a little time thinking about last year’s “The world will end on May 21st” and why people would throw their life away following someone who had already falsely predicted the end in 1994? This is especially confusing if you know what Jesus personally taught about when the world will end.
- The thing that bothers me about all of this is that some people get so caught up in knowledge, numerology and signs – finding things in a book that no one else has seen in 2000 years – they get so caught up in this stuff that they FAIL TO BELIEVE to the ONE who holds all of the answers to these things: JESUS.
- Jesus disciples asked Him, “what are the signs that the end? How will we know?” Jesus knew these guys – He knew their heart just as HE knows our heart as well. He gets that we’re always looking for the shortcut. He knows that rather than live healthy we’d rather take the miracle pill that helps us lose weight. He knows that rather than live pure we want a DEFINITIVE LINE drawn in the sand about what’s right and what’s wrong. And rather than live our life as if the end is truly near, we want to know HOW NEAR the end is so we can be ready when He comes back.
- Focusing on the signs takes our focus off the Son.
- You can listen to the message HERE.
- People were saved today!!!! I hope we never get used to people giving their hearts and lives to Jesus.
- I had some incredible conversations and opportunities to pray today.
- I love preaching at Vertical Church. Amen.
- Worship was incredible today!!! Jon was off today – Justin was our lead worshiper today and dude straight brought it! He and Karla-Beth’s harmonies were just incredible and were so spirit-filled and led – I don’t know that I have ever been more proud of them. Karla-Beth led “Let Your Kingdom Reign” and it was so powerful… Vertical Worship was rounded-off today with John Astle, Joey Hinson (1st time on guitar), Christoph on bass and Andrew on drums. Tight, rockin’ and anointed.
- Music today: “Exalted One” (Elevation Worship), “One Thing Remains” (Jesus Culture), “Let Your Kingdom Reign”.
- As a pastor that understands the importance of excellent, Spirit-led worship, I am SO THANKFUL and proud of the work that Jon, Rhonda, Robby and Justin have brought to our church to create loud, passionate worship. Hallelujah!
- Tonight was our monthly All-Staff meeting. So proud of the leaders that God has placed around us and the opportunity to lead. I don’t feel worthy.
Let’s have an incredible week everyone. I love you all.