Me: It was a “HOT!” day.
Congregation: How hot was it?!?
Me: It was so hot even Jesus would have purchased a Vertical #theendisnear Church fan (John 2:13-16) >>>
DUDE!!!! WE COULD HAVE MADE A KILLING!!! (grin)
I’ll be honest: with it being a holiday weekend I pretty much figured that this weekend would be a down weekend – I was wrong! As Independence Sunday fell upon us at Vertical Church we came in an attitude of giving everything we had on what is traditionally an off week. I am so glad that we did – here’s what happened yesterday at VC:
- Week 2 of “The End is Near” was a message titled, “An Knock at Your Door” based on the messages to the 7 churches found in Revelation 2-3. During the message we realized that however it is that God chooses to bring this world to an end, Will Smith will probably be there with guns on his back, some big shades and a very cool car! (grin)
- These 7 letters to 7 real churches in that day are a warning… an announcement – a message of “I’m coming”, to a people who weren’t totally ready for “THE END”. Most people in our world today are in the very same place: spiritual complacency and a lack of knowledge.
- Throughout the message, as we read Jesus positive words to the church we all asked ourselves, “COULD Jesus say this about me?” As Jesus said the negative things to these same churches we challenged ourselves by asking, “WOULD Jesus say this about me?” I felt that it was a very introspective morning.
- Oh… the fan jokes from the beginning of this post?!? The air conditioner was barely working in our worship center. I literally sweat through my shirt – no kidding! I thought to myself, “if there is anyone in here who is grossed out by sweaty people this morning I guess I lost them!” I told them that had I known it would feel like this I would have preached about hell (grin).
- Shout out to all of our team who gave it all yesterday during set up, services and tear down in the sweltering heat! They #lovejesusandpeople Greatest church planting team in America!
- I will post the questions we dealt with later today so you can make this a part of your daily introspection this week. Don’t brush over this stuff – it can literally change your spiritual life!
- To the person who listens to us preach and sits through the time at the end of the service where we call you to a next step with Jesus who says, “I’m good” and never does anything: you AREN’T good. I hope that you will listen to this message.
- We had incredible crowds this weekend for a holiday weekend! Our attendance has increased this summer instead of hitting the summer slump. Maybe it comes this weekend – regardless, we are SO THANKFUL for God’s provision for Vertical Church. We are so thankful for all of you who faithfully attend.
- Thank you to all of you who share your stories and testimonies with us about the way that God is working in your life!!! We live for this stuff so keep your stories coming.
- So many prayers yesterday morning. So thankful for a church that believes that we are to #praynowspeaklife
- Worship yesterday was incredible. They opened the service with Jesus Culture’s “Your Love Never Fails” (LOVE). Later, Bree brought Christy Nockels “Waiting Here for You” before my message lifting high that chorus, “waiting here for you – with our hands lifted high in praise and it’s You we adore signing Alleluia!” Great song.
- We closed the service coming out of a powerful invitation time going straight into (and appropriately after talking about “the end”) “Revelation Song”. POWERFUL.
- Vertical Worship yesterday consisted of Rhonda, Bree, Jon, Justin, Christoph, Robby and Brad. Always awesome to have Brad Davis with us on drums. Dude is SO good!! I love it when my old friends are at Vertical Church.
- Speaking of old friends… my former partner in ministry, Todd Moody, was in the house yesterday. He and Susie brought friends with them all the way from Myrtle Beach!! I loved looking out in our crowd and seeing my friend out there.
- After service (and a shower) Keyna and I headed to Chapel Hill to see Jason, Laci, Alex and other family members. Thank you so much for supporting them the way that you all have with prayers and gifts. It’s so hard to live out of a hospital when you have a child up there for an extended period. They are so thankful for their Vertical family.
- As we were at Chapel Hill yesterday (July 1) I stood in front of the ICU room that my daughter, Madison, was in exactly one year ago. We have come so far in a year and are so thankful for Jesus for all that He has done in our lives! Madison is doing great. We still thank you all for your prayers for us during that time. Here is the video of our journey.
- We have another Vertical attending family up there: Lucas Larson is there with some pretty serious abdominal issues. Please pray for him. And if you know his parents, Brenda and Mark Hunt, make sure you reach out to them as well.
DON’T FORGET: tomorrow night we will meet at Kimbrell’s Furniture on Fayetteville road at 7pm to give out popsicles and balloons to fireworks watchers! EVERYONE is invited to participate. When we finish we will hang together and watch the fireworks ourselves. Let’s make this a Vertical family outing. If you have a rolling cooler, bring it with you and any food that you would like to share with others! We love you all!